PLANE WRECK ICELAND
In the year 1973 the US Army DC3 plane fell on the immense black beach of Sólheimasandur, in South Iceland. Fortunately, no one died in the accident and today we can enjoy an incredible scene, with the wreckage at the black sand forming a landscape that seems from another world. Here is all you need to know about the plane wreck Iceland tours, the different options to get this incredible place and all the facts about the accident that would change the landscape of South Coast Iceland forever.
- What is the plane wreck and where is it?
- The plane wreck is a famous crash site located in a an inmense black sand beach in South Coast Iceland. In 1973 the US Army DC3 plane fell on the beach at Sólheimassandur due to lack of fuel. Fortunately, everyone who was on the plane survived the accident and the wreckage has remained in this remote area of Iceland for the enjoyment of locals and tourists alike, who can take photos of a scene typical of a science fiction movie. This site has featured in movies, music videos, TV commercials and countless traveler photos. Sólheimassandur black sand beach, where you can find the plane wreckage, is located in South Coast Iceland, not far from Sólheimajökull glacier but gettin there is far from easy.
- How was the accident?
- The plane was returning to Keflavík airport and the plane was caught in the middle of a strong storm. The visibility was not good and suddenly both of the planes engines gave out, causing the plane to start losing altitude. In order to not face the mountains, the pilot made the decision to head south, so they could do an emergency landing on the sea. Fortunately, they discovered they were flying over a beach that looked like the surface of the moon and they made the emergency landing there, on the frozen beach of Sólheimassandur, not far from the sea. The five members survived and they were rescued only one hour after the accident. The cause of the crash coud be human error, a mechanical failure, the plane running out of fuel, the storm or a combination of all these factors, being the most probable theory the lack of fuel.
- What kind of activities can I do at Sólheimassandur black beach in South Coast Iceland?
- The most popular activity to do at Sólheimassandur black beach is an ATV ride. You can combine it also with a glacier hike at the nearby glacier, Sólheimajökull. Other possible activities to do in the area are horse riding and hiking. If you are staying in Reykjavík, we recommend you book the tour to the glacier and the plane wreck. That way, you will be able to go thorugh the south coast of Iceland in a different way. The tour includes also the visits to the incredible Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss waterfalls, as well as a spectacular hike on Sólheimajökull glacier. Another option is to take the South Coast tour that includes the adventure on ATV along the beach. On the other hand, if you plan to explore the south coast of Iceland on your own, we recommend taking the guided ATV transfer along the beach, which departs from the base of the Sólheimajökull glacier. You can also book it together with the hike at the glacier. Not only will you see the wreckage of the plane and the incredible landscape in which it is located, but you will also live an adventure at full speed at the beach and explore a glacier with your own feet. .
- How can I get to the plane wreck at Sólheimasandur?
Access in private vehicles is prohibited due to the difficulty of driving in the area. If you want to get there on your own, once you have passed the Skógafoss waterfall and the Jokulsa river, you should look for a parking lot next to the road. There you will have to leave the rental car and start a one-hour walk that will take you to the beach (if the weather is bad, there is a lot of wind or snow, it is not advisable to venture there on your own). If you do not want to undertake this long journey on your own, you have several possibilities. The first, of course, is to book a tour that departs from Reykjavík (this is offered together with other activities like hiking on the glacier or ATV adventure). And if you're going to do the south coast Iceland on your own, you can book the guided quad bike transfer from the base of Mýrdalsjökull glacier.
What is included in the plane wreck tours and what do I need to bring?
Check the details of every tour to know what is included. Every tour includes an English speaking specialized guide and all the necessary equipment for the activities that are included, like hiking on the glacier or ATV at the beach. It is mandatory to have a valid driving license to drive the ATV. And, of course, no matter when you come to Iceland, it is always necessary to bring warm waterproof clothes to keep you warm during the tours. You will need a waterproof jacket, a wool sweater, waterproof pants and one more underneath, scarf, hat, gloves and good trekking shoes.
From where the Plane Wreck Iceland tours depart?
There are two different type of tours, the ones that depart from Reykjavík, for those who are staying in the capital of Iceland, and the ones that are departing from the South Coast, directly at the nearest point from the site. The first ones include the transfers from/to Reykjavík and you can choose the closest stop to your accommodation. The tours at the South Coast are for those who are travelling on their own around the South Coast. These tours departs from the base camp at Sólheimajökull glacier. You will received the exact information and all the details in the voucher after booking the tour.
When should I do a Plane Wreck Iceland tour?
Good news, the Plane Wreck Iceland tours run all year round as long as the weather conditions allow it. Any season is good to check this amazing site. You will have an incredible experience in Iceland and get the best pictures to astonish all your friends.
Important note: All activities in the Icelandic nature are carried out under the own responsibility of the clients. ISLANDICA s.r.o. is not responsible for any accidents that may occur during the activities or due to the actions of the participants.The people who participate in these outings are accepting these conditions when booking a tour. ID 863