- images/ICELAND/dog-sledding-tours-in-iceland.jpeg, Dog Sledding in Iceland, Dog Sledding tour in Mývatn, Iceland, Mývatn, Iceland
DOG SLEDDING IN ICELAND
Why don't you take your trip to Iceland to the next level and try something new for the first time? Dog Sledding in Iceland is a traditional, beautiful and exciting activity, typical from the Nordic countries. The musher guides transmit their passion for their dogs to all how are lucky enough to meet these close-knit families and will share with you all the secrets of this incredible activity. Book one of these tours and you will have a wonderful adventure in Iceland as part of a unique team. Don't hesitate, our dogs are waiting for you!
- What is dog sledding?
- Dogsledding is a traditional activity and sport from Nordic countries and Greenland. Dogs have been used for hunting and travel for over a thousand years. A sled is pulled by several sled dogs in order to travel over ice, snow or even normal land. The breed of dog that is normally dedicated to pushing sleds are huskies and their beauty and class is well known. They have a lot of strength and love to run and be outside. The dog sledding tours in Iceland will allow you to experience something totally new and get to know from the inside out what this incredible and ancient way of traveling is like. The musher guides are highly experienced. The lead dog is crucial, so mushers take particular care of these dogs. They will tell you all about dogsledding and you will be able to cross the beautiful nature of Iceland at great speed.
- Where can I experience dog sledding in Iceland?
- There are two places where the dog sledding experiences in Iceland take place. The first one is near Reykjavík, so we offer the chance to book the tour with the transfer from the capital or directly on location. As the starting place of the ride always varies, you will receive the exact location after you book the tour. It is always about a 1-hour ride from Reykjavík, so you should stay at the capital the night before. The other location of dog sledding in Iceland is in Mývatn, in the north of Iceland, a must stop for all who are travelling around the island and want to see all the amazing places from the North. These dog sledding tours in Mývatn run from November to the beginning of May.
- Dog Sledding in Iceland tours are with or without snow?
- Icelandic weather is unpredictable and even during winter there can be months when there is no snow. The Dog Sledding in Iceland takes place on land or on snow depending on the conditions of the moment, so in no case can the sledding tour on snow be guaranteed. Of course, if you come during the winter there are more chances that the tour will be on snow but the experience is all about having a great adventure with our dogs and whether it is on snow or on land, the experience is unforgettable.
- What are the requirements to join one of the dog sledding tours in Iceland and what should I bring?
The minimum age varies between 4 to 6 years old, depending on the tour and the season. You need to be physically fit and weight less than 95 Kg. The Dog Sledding tours are not suitable for pregnant women. If you have any doubt about your conditions, just contact us. The vast majority of people love and enjoy dog sledding but safety comes first.
Regarding the clothes, it is recommended to be dressed warmly as if you were going skiing but warmer as you will not be exercising during the ride. Bring long underwear, warm clothes such as a woolen or fleece sweater, warm and waterproof outfit (pant and jacket), waterproof shoes that go above the ankle like boots or hiking boots, sunglasses, ski goggles, hat, and gloves.
What kind of dogs are in the Dog Sledding tours in Iceland?
As you probably know, the most common dogs used in dog sledding tours are huskies, strong dogs that need a lot of exercise and love to run. Among the dogs that are in the Dog Sledding tours in Iceland you will find Alaskan husky, Greenlandic dog, Siberian huskies and a few mixed breed dogs. All the dogs are either bred at the kennel or adopted and are loved as members of the family. The dogs never go close to their limit and the route is changed everyday to keep them interested and motivated. They are all very friendly, well-trained and well-behaved.
What is included in a Dog Sledding tour in Iceland?
By booking a Dog Sledding tour in Iceland you will not only enjoy an exciting sleigh ride, but also you will get to know the dogs, take photos during the breaks with them and learn how is the life at the farm. All the tours are guided by an English speaking expert musher guide. Check the details of every tour above and choose the most suitable one for you.
When should I go on a Dog Sledding tour in Iceland?
The tours that take place near Reykjavik (you can choose the one with the transfer from the capital or the one that starts directly at the location) take place from Monday to Friday all year round. The tours in Mývatn, in the north of Iceland, take place from November to the beginning of May.
Pictures from the Dog Sledding tours in Iceland:
Important note: All activities in the Icelandic nature are carried out under the own responsibility of the clients. ISLANDICA s.r.o. is not responsible for any accidents that may occur during the activities or due to the actions of the participants. The people who participate in these outings are accepting these conditions when booking a tour. ID 854